Lately I’m Loving…
- Farmers’ Market Grapes. If you only get them at the grocery store, it can be eye-opening to realize how many variety exist within “red” and “green”. If you’re in Chicago, get them at Mick Klug Farms at the Green City Market. That sampler box pictured is a tremendous treat for your taste buds.
- Method All Purpose Natural Surface Cleaning Spray in White Rosemary It makes your kitchen smell like the south of France.
- The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes Is “historical thriller” a literary genre? This novel, about a Depression-era drifter who travels through time to commit a series of pre-determined murders, is a compelling read and notable for the peeks it provides into Chicago from the 1930s-1990s. I was shocked to learn the author is not a Chicagoan; instead, she’s South African.
- Love Dishonor Marry Die Cherish Perish A Novel by David Rakoff I implore you to use one of those codes offered on EVERY.SINGLE.PODCAST to listen to this novel for free on Audible.com. If you miss David Rakoff’s voice as much as me, it’s a treat to hear him read his last novel aloud. You’ll be surprised how the rhyming couplet structure doesn’t distract.
- Gnocchi with Kale This recipe uses Italian sausage, but like a total Pinterest nightmare, I substituted a variety of delectable mushrooms in lieu of the sausage. This is a perfect weeknight meal in that it cooks up super-quickly, requires no wacky ingredients, and needs a splash of white wine, so you’re already opening a bottle… you figure out the rest.